Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The sad passing of natural medicine...

Eventually, I will get back to my story of how I got to this point with IC, but for now, I must deal with the present...

On Friday I went to have a nutritional microscopy test performed in Milwaukee, WI (there is no one trained in this test in the city of Chicago). This is a test where both live and dry blood stains were taken and viewed under a microscope. I was hoping it would give me some answers. The test revealed that my red blood cells lacked nutrients and oxygen. Also, my white blood cells were not doing an effective job of removing toxins and debris from my blood. In addition, bacteria, acid crystals, yeast and parasites were visible in the blood. Dr. Young (author of Sick and Tired) believes that these things are present in the blood and and tissues due to an increase in acidity in the body. He believes that by bringing the body into a more alkaline state, the body can have the fuel it needs to repair itself. I believe his theory might be right. The problem is I am not sure if I have the patience to continue trying the "holistic' route. IC has consumed 2 years of of my life and I AM "sick and tired" of it! I want my life back! I want to be able to LIVE and not constantly have to feel pain the the urge to go to the bathroom day and night. I want to be able to eat food! I am sick of spending most of my money on trying to get better.

In search of yet another remedy, I went for an acupuncture session last night. I have been doing some research and acupuncture has been providing some relief for bladder spasms in many IC patients. I went in to the appointment with horrible pain and spasms in the bladder due to some sunflower seeds I ate. By the time I left, my spasms had almost disappeared and I was able to sleep quite well last night. I am definitely going to continue with my appointments for awhile. At least it decreases some symptoms.

As I was driving around working today, I think I decided to give Elmiron a chance. I have been trying unceasingly to find a natural alternative, something to heal the bladder. But, I have not had a lot of success, nor do I have the strength to keep searching. Maybe amongst all the herbs and natural medicines of the world hides something that can cure IC, but I am tired of looking. I am sure I have tried hundreds of things by now, with little to no success. So, against all personal beliefs and philosophies, I am going to try taking it. I have decided getting my life back is more important than finding a natural alternative. We'll see how long I stick with it. I worry about the side effects, potentially toxic side effects of most medications.

1 comment:

David Ross said...

I hope you find something soon to help you, whether its a natural remedy or an allopathic one. Continue to seek and you shall find.

David Ross
drdavidRoss.com