Thursday, August 9, 2007

December 2005-January 2006 (Pyridium and Antihistimine Trial)

I have been dealing with IC since December, 2005-the 12th of Decemeber to be exact. Almost immediately following a laporoscopy to remove a cyst, I had difficulty urinating. I called my GYN within a few days of having the surgery. I remember her telling me, "If it doesn't go away in 3 days, call me." Ofcourse, it didn't go away. She called me in a prescription for Pyridium, a drug that turns your urine red, can stain your clothes AND your eyeballs. After two days of Pyridium, I was forced to stop due to severe migraines. Never having a migraine in my life, I called my pharmacy. The pharmacist told me that was a rare, but possible side effect. Lucky me. I continued to have increased pain, pressure and difficulty urinating. I tolerated the condition as best I could until I returned to my GYN for a follow-up visit in January. I explained that I was still not feeling better and that this condition was really beginning to take it's toll on me. She suggested we try an antihistimine. She said she had tried this particular medication on another patient. To her pleasant suprise, that patient was now "urinating like a race horse." Hoping to heck to also be "urinating like a race horse," I filled the perscription. This episode of medication was also short lived. I didn't feel any better. I also was unsafe behind the wheel of my car due to extreme drowsiness. As a home health occupational therapist, it was important that I be able to safety drive. Confused by the situation, I didn't know what else to do. I continued to tolerate the condition, wondering if my life would ever be the same again.

No comments: