Saturday, April 12, 2008

Bladder instillations and the Discovery of Tribulus

Since I wrote the last post, I have had three more bladder instillations...yes with the catheters. After my third one, I started experiencing increased bladder pain. I called a friend who has had IC for a number of years and asked her about the increased pain. She told me that when she first started getting bladder instillations several years ago, she would have to go home and sit on an ice bag because it bothered her so much. She told me that the increased symptoms should subside in a day or so. Relieved, I just waited out the symptoms and sure enough, by the next day things had calmed down. All in all though, I have not really had any remarkable breakthrough in my symptoms yet with the bladder instillations. According to some research I found on the internet, I may have another 6 weeks or so before I am really able to tell if anything changed. I am praying something improves! I did however find an AMAZING supplement that has helped me when I feel like I have a UTI. It is called tribulus and the company who makes it is called Standard Process. Originally, tribulus was marketed for impotence...probably not going to help ME much. However, recent research suggests that tribulus has little or no effect on impotence. Tribulus did prove to have an effect on bacteria of the urinary tract. In fact, it inhibited the growth of ALL infective bacteria of the urinary tract that were tested. I was nervous about trying this supplement because so many things (food, medication, supplements etc,) irritate my bladder. After a few days of taking this supplement, any symptoms of an infection I might have had went away! I couldn't be happier about the possibility of finding something that will take care of an infection without the use of antibiotics! I don't know if this product will be well tolerated by all IC patient's, but it certainly has been by me. Thank God! By the way, Thanks friends, family and strangers that check up on me.

No comments: